Monday, May 24, 2010

Freedom!

Greg and I tasted a little bit of freedom this weekend. While my parents watched Katie, we were able to attend the wedding of a high school friend of mine. We went to the reception around 4 o'clock and left around 7 or so. The three hours we were there flew by - it was so much fun to talk, laugh, and drink with friends! I refrained from calling my mom and dad's house too many times (only three times!) while they were in charge of baby-sitting. However, my dad got a little indignant during one of my phone calls; I think his words were something like, "You are going to have to put a little more faith in us than this, Steph!" The indignation may have come from my phone call to the house just five minutes after we left Katie in T-town. After he had assured me that he and my mom successfully raised two children - twins, no less! - I hung up with my dad. Greg and I missed Katie for most of the evening though, so we headed home and made it an early night. I was proud of us for lasting so long. On the way out, one of my girlfriends remarked that she and her husband took two months before they left their daughter, and even then, it was for a lot shorter period of time than the wedding reception. It is pretty funny to me how the definition of a wild and crazy night out with friends has changed for the two of us in the last several months!




I also went back to work today for the last full school day of the year. The students are all done, so the teachers just had meetings, finalized grades, and took down our rooms. Since I was going to have to accomplish all of these tasks anyway, I called my doctor for permission to return to work earlier than I expected. I received the okay, and I showed up today at Effingham High School ready to work. It was wonderful to return to school! I knew Katie was in capable hands because Terri came up to watch her, and it helped me to know that I was only returning to school for a full day today and a partial day tomorrow. Terri reported that Katie had a meltdown-free day, and she hardly knew I was gone! I know that I will eventually not think twice about future excursions that might be Katie-free, but with these baby steps, I know we are headed in the right direction. Obviously, it's harder on me than it is on her!
- Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment